Welcome! I’m back in your inbox this morning with everything you need to know about what’s happening in Cleveland these days.
- A beloved local legend of the music scene has died
- Food blogger/cookbook author and Westlake homecoming won a James Beard Award
- Tickets for Elton John’s Farewell Tour are still available
- And we’ve got info on some fun things to do too
🥵 🥵 🥵 weather: Hot, humid, with a stray thunderstorm. High: 90, Low: 79
Next week forecast | Live weather radar
Find out what’s happening in ClevelandWith free real-time updates from Patch.
👍 More than 1000 thumbs up can’t be wrong
Did you notice 👍 | 👎 Poll at the bottom of every Cleveland Daily email? Well, we’ve been given 1,051 likes by our readers! We also read every bit of the comments you share. Here are some recent comments:
- Good quick read with fast writing style. One of the first things I read in the morning.
- Just a great and informative newsletter, more news and information than you see on TV.
- I am addicted to your news now! I love the tone of voice! great work!
- Thanks for all the local news. Better than subscribing to PD.
- Interesting current events. Sad news too. Everything is clear and concise.
Thanks for your feedback! Keep your thumbs coming!
Find out what’s happening in ClevelandWith free real-time updates from Patch.
These thumbs up can also be your ad click: Attract more clients in Cleveland 👀 by sponsoring this daily newsletter, read by the same people you’re trying to reach. Click here to find out more.
❤️ Do you like Cleveland Daily? Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe.
1) The death of Patricia Hanisch Legend Cleveland Rock and Roll
Do you remember Bats in the Flats? The owner of the old Cleveland rock ‘n’ roll bar, which closed in 2018, died on Sunday. Patricia Hanisch was 82 years old. The pub has been in business for six decades, and opened in 1945 in the Pickles name under the ownership of her father, William.
- Shawn Mshakwho earlier this year set up GoFundMe to help with Hanych’s retirement, Beautiful obituary books for Cleveland scenedescribing Hanish as “booking agent, confidant, waiter, pseudo-grandmother/aunt/mother of countless Cleveland musicians.”
- Health problems forced her to give up work. She died after a short bout of cancer. RIP, Pat.
- Friends may invite to visit at Kolodiy-Lazuta Funeral Home, 5677 State Road, Parma, Wednesday, June 15, 4-8 p.m. Funeral service at Funeral Home, Thursday, June 16, 11 a.m. to proceed at Brooklyn Heights Cemetery.
Read Shawn Mishak’s obituary for this great and colorful woman of the Cleveland scene
❤️ Check out the love, respect and memories on Twitter.
2) 🎲 JACK Casino has been operating in Cleveland now for a decade now, having undergone many changes in that time. “Nobody really understands the urban gaming market,” General Manager Scott Locke told Sean McDonnell in a story for Cleveland.com.
- The casino in the former Higbee building called Horseshoe Casino opened on May 12, 2012. Dan Gilbert was the owner.
- The state of Ohio refused to legalize casino gambling four times before finally agreeing in 2009.
- In 2021, public records showed that JACK Casino made $257 million – a record year. This fact is mitigated by predictions made by casino experts and advocates in 2009 – that Cleveland Casino will generate $473 million in annual revenue by 2021.
Learn more about the evolution of the casino and the role it plays in Cleveland at Cleveland.com
3) Westlake-born Christina Chu won two James Beard Awards 2022 on Sunday in the baking and dessert and Emerging Voice categories. Zhou is a food blogger who published her first cookbook, “Moon Cakes and Milk Bread: Sweet and Savory Recipes Inspired by Chinese Bakeries,” last fall. She blogs at EatChoFood.com.
Cleveland 19 News
4) US marshals tracked down a man suspected of beating a one-year-old child to death in January. Latrell Wilson, 38, was arrested in Akron on Tuesday afternoon. The child suffered rib fractures and head trauma. “Capturing this fugitive and bringing justice to the family was high on our list of priorities,” US Marshal Pete Elliott said.
5) Elton John has been to Cleveland twice on his “Farewell Tour,” and will be back for his third gig this summer at Progressive Field on July 30. Will this be the last show on the Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour? If you don’t want to take the risk, tickets are still available for $125 and up.
Fox 8 News
“I have a big family. I have a great legal team. I have great support here in this organization…
5 titles you must see
- The Cleveland Museum of Art reports that there has been no official communication from Italy regarding the sculpture allegedly stolen from Tuscany (cleveland.com)
- Prepare for monkeypox in Ohio. Here’s what you need to know (ideastream.org)
- Food truck operators feel inflation tight (News 5 Cleveland and US)
- Andres Jimenez, Emmanuel Klass Push to Join Jose Ramirez and Shane Bieber as Guardians All-Star All-Star contenders (cleveland.com)
- Cleveland Play House chooses interim artistic director (ideastream.org)
3 things to do
- Corey Holcomb appears at Cleveland’s Improv Comedy Theater, 1148 Main Ave. Saturday, June 18th. He has appeared on Jay Leno’s “Tonight Show”. Ticket information
- Jewel and Blues Traveler at Blossom Music Center At Cuyahoga Falls for the train, the 2022 AM Summer Gold Tour. New music tracks, Grammy songs and surprise covers will be on the playlist. Saturday 18th June from 6:30 PM to 10:30 PM TICKET INFORMATION
- New Kids on the Block Mixtape Tour, with Salt-n-Pepa, En Vogue and Rick Astley, comes to Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse on Tuesday, June 21. Tickets start at $29. Show starts at 7:30 PM Ticket information
For just $2 a day per patch, you can promote your local event and help support local news in Greater Cleveland. Click here to post your event.
Show Dad what he means to you this Father’s Day With thoughtful gifts like Apple Watches, Nespresso coffee makers, Crocs and more. Check out our gift guide
In addition to …
Duck Bar Parade, Sports, Car Show: 6 Things to Do in the Cleveland Area to Celebrate Daddy 2022: Father’s Day is Sunday. any plans? Don’t worry, we’ve found events and other things in the Cleveland area that every parent will love.
⚾ Cleveland Guardians Updates: The Guardians are in Colorado to play with the Rockies. Scores, titles, video, schedule, standings and more
- Congratulations to the caregivers at Cleveland Clinic Children’s Hospital For being a children’s hospital rated nationally and trusted locally by US News & World Report. (Cleveland Clinic via Instagram)
- Congratulations also to Rainbow University Children’s Hospitals and Children’s Hospitalwhich was also recognized as the Best Children’s Hospital for 2022-23 . UH Rainbow Hospital is ranked among the top 50 children’s hospitals in the country in nine specialties, five of which are ranked 25th among the top 25 hospitals. (University Hospitals via Facebook)
- Rotations take place regularly in the exhibits of the Cleveland Museum of Art To keep things fresh. Have you seen the latest edition of the #ContContemporaryArt fair? It’s full of new and interesting multimedia action and great formats. Visit: cma.org (Cleveland Museum of Art via Instagram)
- If you’re heading to the University Circle on the first Wednesday Wade Oval of summerYou will notice that the museum is undergoing a complete transformation of the campus and all of the exhibits. (Cleveland Museum of Natural History via Facebook)
- Cleveland cooling centers Open until June 16 between 11:30 a.m. and 10 p.m. before 90 degrees plus forecast temperatures for the next few days. (City of Cleveland – City Hall via Facebook)
More of our sponsors – Thanks for supporting local news!
That’s enough for today! I will see you soon. Missed on Monday? CLICK HERE: ⚾ Sports Appeal to Transgender Teens + Pickle Empire Grow + Scuba Die
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free newsletters and patch alerts.