“It is great to see a renewed desire to discover new and different experiences through travel,” he said. Caroline Berger, Head of Brand, US at GetYourGuide. “We’ve seen a sharp increase in the volume of our bookings in the US as travelers make up for lost time over the past few years – many of whom are more conscious than ever before of avoiding typical tourist traps. As travelers become more conscious, we are offering them unforgettable experiences.”
The report findings find common themes among those planning travel and book experiences in 2022. Highlights include:
travelers They go out of their way to avoid tourist traps
As many seasoned travelers know, popular destinations can often include “tourist traps,” which survey respondents identified as attractions lacking in authenticity – inaccurately claiming unique and exclusive – with inflated prices, long queues and/or Big crowds. These “traps” may act as a barrier to travelers when creating their travel itineraries, causing some to change plans or avoid the destination altogether.
- Two out of three (67%) travelers feel they have gone through tourist traps that have led to unoriginal experiences
- More than two-thirds (68%) of travelers said they decided not to visit a sightseeing or excursion because they were worried it was a trap for tourists, while four in ten travelers (41%) said they avoided a destination altogether. Because of tourists’ fears of traps
“Doing your research and booking with a trusted provider is essential for those looking to escape the tourist traps,” Berger said. “By visiting GetYourGuide.com or the GetYourGuide app, travelers not only have access to transparent rates, flexible booking policies and real customer reviews – which have become big stakes for today’s traveler – but also get a fully curated experience, one that has been vetted by us.”
Travelers are eager to discover new and unforgettable experiences in their own backyards
On average, American travelers take about 3 leisure trips a yearAnd this year, many Americans (55%) plan to vacation within the United States, choosing beach trips (44%) and road trips (36%). Among those with 2022 travel plans:
- Two-thirds of travelers say trying new and different things (66%), as well as feeling rejuvenated and relaxed (66%) are the main goals of their vacation.
- Most travelers plan sightseeing (42%) and participate in family-friendly activities (39%)
- Travelers rate favorable prices (54%), have a wide range of activities and experiences (34%) and avoid large crowds (34%) as top priorities when booking experiences
- Travelers’ top priority is feeling free (38%) and participating in authentic experiences (37%)
Travelers Evaluate “who” as well as “where”
Whether you’re enjoying the culinary scene in a new city, hiking the Grand Canyon or swimming with sharks, most travelers agree that the people they travel with contribute to making the experience “memorable.” Among the open text comments requested in the survey, participants echoed the importance of family, friends, and loved ones when creating lasting memories.
- Nearly two thirds (58%) of travelers feel that creating beautiful memories with their loved ones contributes to making the travel experience memorable, while four out of ten travelers (38%) say that learning about the history of different landmarks and places also makes the trip unforgettable.
- The words ‘beautiful’ and ‘fun’ were the most frequently mentioned words when asked to describe unforgettable experiences.
Using the survey results, GetYourGuide launched a file Online quiz For travelers to discover an “unforgettable” travel experience. For more information, please visit the website www.getyourguide.com.
GetYourGuide is the booking platform for unforgettable travel experiences. Travelers use GetYourGuide to discover the best things to do at a destination – including walking tours by top local experts, local cooking tours, cooking and crafts classes, hop-on-line tickets to the world’s most popular attractions, wishlist experiences and status Niche offers you won’t find anywhere else. Since its founding in 2009, travelers from over 190 countries have booked more than 58 million tours, activities and attractions tickets through GetYourGuide. Backed by a global team of more than 550 travel experts and technologists, the company is headquartered in Berlin Germany It has offices in 15 countries around the world.
call: Beatrice Jimenez And [email protected]
1 A survey was released on 2,000 American adults who typically take at least one vacation each year, representing the US population based on age, gender, and region; Online surveyed between From 16 to 21 March 2022
2 Based on the years you have not had restrictions due to COVID-19 or something else; Includes anything from a “weekend away” to a longer vacation