Warning: This story contains graphic content that is not suitable for all readers
FORT WAYNE, INDIANA (WANE) – They came to Jay Street’s house shortly after 10:30 a.m.
Eight crime scene technicians with the Fort Wayne Police Department – the entire force has nine personnel – combed the interior of the house as they made their way to the bedroom.
There they looked at the corpses.
They looked at the blood, cracks, and stab wounds in the throat of the three children who had been left on a bed. They saw the cuts in the mother’s throat too, and found her in the kneeling position at the end of that bed with her arms over her head.
They saw chaos on the walls and in the bathroom.
At 6 p.m., they left before the scene was fully processed.
“We had enough for a day,” said Ricky Promett, the chief crime scene technician who went home that morning.
Jurors in the Allen Supreme Courthouse heard Bromett’s testimony in a taped statement Friday as the trial of a man accused of killing a 26-year-old woman and her three children last year continues.
Allen County prosecutors are looking to send 22-year-old Cohen Hans Baron to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the murders as his trial extends into its fifth day.
It is expected to enter next week.
Hancz-Barron is accused of killing Sarah Zent and three of her children – 5-year-old Carter, 3-year-old Ashton and 2-year-old Aubrey.
He lived in the Zent house for about a month and at one point the two were a married couple, but the family previously testified during the trial that they wanted him out of the house.
One early June morning, he made sporadic phone calls to his family and then left the house, taking a black pickup truck from the neighbors he was not allowed to use.
Later that morning, the bodies of Zent and three of her children – 5-year-old Carter, 3-year-old Ashton and 2-year-old Aubrey – were found on a bed in the bedroom.
According to court testimony, someone stabbed them in the throat several times and then stabbed their livers. This individual has been linked by investigators as Hancz-Barron, who ran away from home and holed up in an apartment in Lafayette before being arrested hours later.
There was no indication that the house had been forcibly broken into.
Friday morning jurors heard Brummett talk about the scene his team faced when they got home.
It was impossible to know the sequence of the killings. There was also no evidence that the bodies had been moved. The family may have been murdered in that bedroom or even on that bed.
“It was clear that these people were killed,” Brummett said in the taped statement. They have been stabbed several times. To say in what order, I couldn’t do that. I can’t say what led to that.”
The pathologist had testified earlier on Thursday that Carter, one of the children, had apparently tried to fight his attacker. He said Sarah Zent did that, too. Both had injuries to their arms and hands, suggestive of self-defence.
The jurors were shown more photos from the crime scene, where crime scene technician Michael Eden testified and had to identify each body one by one in the photos.
Ashton Zent is depicted on the wall and covered with a blanket, his feet protruding from the end. They were offered his sister, Aubrey Zent, wearing only a diaper. Carter, wearing only pants, was seen lying across from his mother.
Zint had tissue paper on her head, which crime scene technicians were unable to explain. The handkerchief was not pressed, as if to absorb anything, according to testimony in court. Pictures of the bloodstained bedding where the bodies were found were also shown.
The Zent family, who was watching from the courtroom, barely made any sound or movement while viewing the pictures.
Garden gloves were found next to Aubree, although it has not yet been seen if they will come into play in this experiment. A compact pistol made of metal parts was also found, but it is also unclear what part this evidence would play at trial.
An expert compact pistol is expected to testify.
More than 30 shells, shells and cartridges were collected from the house, most of them in the kitchen, but investigators do not believe these are linked to the killings.
If Hans Baron is found guilty, there will be another trial with the same jury where prosecutors will claim that he should be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, a procedure required by Indiana law.
At the start of the trial, his public defense team told the jury that much of the evidence would be circumstantial and would not prove that their client committed the murders.
While prosecutors called witnesses to the stand, Hans Baron’s lawyers conducted limited questioning and offered no hint as to what his defense was or whether they would offer an alternative theory about what happened.
The trial will continue this afternoon.